Classroom Theme – “Flying High Together”
The theme is based on Isaiah 40:30-31. . . those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles . . .
- 8th Graders set goals as a class and individual goals for the 2009 – 2010 school year.
- Throughout the year students learn to soar by relying on their Lord as their faith is renewed.
Faith and Values Class
- 8th graders continue to study our Lutheran faith with an emphasis on how they apply that faith in their daily lives.
- As students apply their faith they keep a journal, work on topic related projects, and do Christian Living service projects.
High School Academic Preparation
- Teachers by Subject
- Homeroom Teacher – Joyce Kromminga — Algebra, Earth Science, English (grammar, speech, writing), Literature, Spelling, Physical Education, Computer Education, Art
- U.S. History Teacher – Erica Reiser
- Music/ Choir Teacher – Nancy Simonson
- Standardized Testing
- High School Visits
- Math and English Recommendations
- Presidential Academic Fitness Awards
Leadership Opportunities and Opportunities to Serve
- Partners with “1st Grade Friends” (throughout the year)
- Chapel Service Leaders (2-3 times per year)
- Chapel Service Assistants (weekly)
- School Lunch Clean-up (daily)
- Adopt a Cabin at Camp Omega (fall and spring)
- Fall Retreat – The time spent on retreat lays the foundation for building a cohesive 8th grade unit, provides team building and values clarification activities, and promotes leadership at FLS.
- Team Building
- 8th Grade Play
- End of the Year Class Trip
- Graduation Worship Service and Reception